Monday, March 7, 2011

Emails #14: Watch Out Red Skull

Mr. Alpi-

This is hot stuff. Indeed. Really like what you have done here.

Coupla' notes anyway....
RICK


EXT. GENERAL'S BASE HOUSE BACK PORCH

The general smokes a pipe as Cap stands watching the sun go down. Cap wears the dark, star-less version of his uniform. Cap's shoulders are forward and his eyes weary.


"I couldn't believe my own eyes. You are alive after all these years. I don't know if you remember me Cap. I was a private back in '42, fresh from boot camp and eager to get my head shot off killing Nazis. I was there the night you rallied the troops and we overtook a far greater German force. You were magnificent. Your bravery and passion kept us alive and helped us win that battle. I never forgot what I saw that night. True courage. True leadership...

"When the war ended, I wanted to find you to thank you. My inquiries were unanswered. Letters politely returned. So, I thought you were dead. World War Two was over and there was dancing in the streets. I decided to dedicate my life to service and you were never very far from my thoughts...

"With the weight of years, my memories are all that I have left. I have buried my wife, buried a son, watched my daughter have children of her own and move away. I needed you to know how important you were. I wasn't the only snot nosed nineteen year old kid you saved out there on the field of battle. You saved us all, taught us to cherish our freedom and the freedom of others. Sometimes it can only be paid for by the blood of those willing to oppose evil. Sacrifices have to be made and honored...

"Maybe you were a nineteen year old kid once. Maybe I lived the life that boy could have had. Maybe I have stayed alive all these years hoping you were still out there, inspiring awe and courage. There is something I have been saving through the years in case I met you again."

The General slides Cap a thick folder stamped 'Top Secret, Confidential.'

Inside, Cap finds yellowed, decaying sheets marked Department of War. Super Soldier. Mortality ratio. Steve Rogers 4F candidate. It was the first set of documents regarding the Super Soldier program. Cap turned pages as if he were turning back time. To him, this was only yesterday. Then, in the thick folder, he finds something unsettling and drops everything in a a spray of yellowed pages.

Cap finally speaks, "General--."

"I'm glad we had this chat. Go home son. It's there for you." He hands Cap a set of keys and looks him in the eye.

> When Steve rides home, have him ride all night long.

> During his flashbacks: Vintage music plays from a box radio.

> For the end...


CAPTAIN AMERICA
No more hiding. The people deserve a fighting chance. I will
answer the call again. Freedom and liberty must not perish.

Bike speeds off. Cap is riding like a bat out of hell, on a mission.

Watch out Red Skull!

When you see a rattlesnake poised to strike, you do not wait until he has struck to crush him.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper.
-Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment