Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Emails #27: He Died a Hero Today

"A lot has been lost, Captain.  There was a fire in one of our store houses in 1956.  We have taken donations from several private collections.  We happen to have three good examples on display here."

National Archives, Washington, DC
War Department
Declassified Documents
"America at War"
Correspondence from the Front Lines to the Heartland


Momma & Poppa-

I won't lie to you about how serious things are here.  People are dying left and right.  I am scared all the time that I might let my buddies down.  Sometimes I stop and pray that I can come home.  We met a real hero last night that has given us our first taste of hope in many months.  He spoke to us about liberty and the right of all people to be free of tyranny...



...Nazi tank was only a few feet away.  He appeared from nowhere.  We were sure we were going to die.  He got down in the trench with us and sparked us to fight...



...Cap leaned in close to Tommy and whispered something in his ear.  His eye grew wide and he gave Cap a salute then died right on the spot.  Cap kissed him on the forehead and saluted him back.  You could see a tear in Cap's eyes as he walked away.  "Tell his folks, he died a hero today."




Rick's writing inspired me to write the following. -Ben

Cap tries to comfort the young man, obviously in shock from loss of blood.  Cap kneels beside him and the private suddenly grabs his arm.  

LAWRENCE
Is it bad? Is it bad, Cap?

CAP
No, no. You're going to be fine.

LAWRENCE
Aww, you're a bad lier, sir. I know it's bad. I...

The boy chokes, the pain unbearable.

CAP
Lawrence?

LAWRENCE
Dad? Dad, is that you? I can't see.

Cap pauses.

CAP
Yes, it's me Lawrence.

LAWRENCE
Dad, I'm so sorry, I screwed up.

CAP
No way. You saved the whole platoon. If you hadn't seen
those Jerries they'd have all bought the farm."

LAWRENCE
Aww, thanks. I tried, I really tried.

CAP
We know. And we're proud of you, son.

Lawrence inhales forcefully.

LAWRENCE
Dad--?

Cap cradles him as his last breath eases out and he kisses him on the forehead.

CAP
We're all proud of you.



Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.
-Joseph Campbell

A movie is not a book. If the source material is a book, you cannot be too respectful of the book. All you owe to the book is the spirit. Everything else-- just tear that motherf&%#r apart.
-Richard Price

No comments:

Post a Comment