Friday, May 13, 2011

Emails #42: Humbled By Their Sacrifice

Captain America
The Boy who loves his country

The Red Skull
The fiend who lusts for power

World War II
The war of good versus evil

"She's dead Cap. You can't save her."

"We weren't in time. How could we know? We couldn't protect them."

"War doesn't make sense, Cap."

"I might be just a hick farm boy but I know evil when I see it. These were people, all of them..."

"Don't snap on me now. We still need you."

"You shall be avenged. Evil will not triumph. So swears Captain America. May you all rest in peace."

Camera pulls back to reveal what Cap sees. A large pile of skeletal bodies heaped in a grey mass. The only color in frame is the red, white and blue of Cap's shield and uniform.


RICK: I was just thinking that maybe Cap is a little like Forest Gump - being inserted into history. We then see the events through his eyes. He is like a tour guide of sorts.

BEN: I totally see that. I think in a way the real super heroes are the regular soldiers. Cap would see it that way. He would be humbled by their sacrifice. Cap would be crucial not for winning all the big battles with his fists, but for leading the men to victory with his spirit. He is the embodiment of the spirit of Liberty.

This is a totally important point about Cap. You nailed it.


Give me liberty or give me death.
-Patrick Henry

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
-George S. Patton


No comments:

Post a Comment